Sunday, March 5, 2017

Why being an Aunt is the best job ever?

Kids are amazing little things. They are honest, fun, cool, strange and endlessly surprising. All in all, they rule your world, no matter what. A few years ago, while I was a fresher in an IT company and was newly deployed into my first project, I often ran home just right on time. Because I was a new Aunt back then. I had just started living in Bengaluru with my Cousin and family.

Someday at Office:
Manager: Hey you need to stay back late and finish this work. You might as well be expected to work on Saturday.
Me: What? Why and How can I?
Manager: I'm Sorry. What was that?(Clueless )
Me: No I can't stay back late, I stay far away, My Bhabhi must be waiting, I get scared going in late night Cab, blah blah blah
Manager: (Clueless again)
Me: I need to go early, 'coz my niece sleeps by 08:30. I need to be there.
Manager: Oh! Isn't the mother with her? (Sympathetic)
Me: She is there, but I need to play with the baby. (Sigh! - I said that; Oh Damn! - Why I said that?)
Manager: Finish this before you go (Angry)



Some Aunt somewhere said -- "Aunthood: it is powerful; it redefines your identity. It really is a state of calling - a calling that is completely out of your control." When I first became an Aunt, I was so ecstatic. It was an out of the world feeling. But-but-but, Children seldom misquote you. In fact, they usually repeat word for word what you shouldn't have said. They make you feel so proud and also embarrass you in the crowd.

The purity of the affection that you receive is unlike any other form. All in all, you get to live your childhood once again. You can make a good impact on the so-called mini-me you see in them.

1. Some random kid calling you as Aunty is the worst thing ever, at least until you are already an Aunt


2. The first time you see your niece or nephew is the best feeling ever. But the first time you see them you are a blubbering fool. What’s this crying business? Eyes. Stop. Now. You’re embarrassing me.


3. Aunts be the coolest chicks ever right?  Giving the kid everything hiding from mom?


4. Any room is a panic room if you've lost a baby in it.


5. The priorities change. You run home so quickly for you are up to something. Being an Aunty has been one of the most rewarding things I have ever encountered.


6. You become super protective over the child, which isn't even your own and it isn't even been long yet.  You are jealous of people whoever wants to hold the baby.


7. You can spoil the kid to the greatest. You can do all the crazy kid stuff without looking like a creep.


8. You learn the art of buying baby clothes, giving a bath and changing the diaper. You get a taste of having a baby, but you get to sleep at night, unlike the new parent.

9. Kids are so honest. You are not funny Aunty!


10. Kids be the best and call you by the cutest of names.When you hear from the new mommy, that baby called you as Aunt(Maasi, Aasi, Aanthi, Pinthu)


11. Because Mumma keeps dressing up baby, you get to see the every new picture while you are in the middle of a meeting and you can't help but keep smiling.


12. Being an Aunt is no easy Job - Baby showers, Naming Ceremony, and Birthday Parties become Compulsions

13. Any expecting mother you bump into, you can speak the fluent maternity language. The other day a friend told me about weekend Scan- I ended up asking if it was her first-trimester Scan. She was pleasantly surprised.

14. You know all the rhymes in youtube now. Cartoon Network and Pogo becomes your favorite channel too. You know what is happening with Chota Bhim, Chutki, Motu, Patlu, Nobita, Doraemon etc.

15. Because there is a baby at home, automatically the home becomes accident prone zone.

16. The neighbor's kid is a nuisance no matter what.


17. Saying No and Asking the kid to behave in the public is such a difficult task.


18. When the time flies. It's just not that kid is growing up quickly it also means we are getting older.

19. Your sister/friend repeatedly asks - "So when will you get married? Even the kid is asking when is Maasi getting married". Oh yeah! tell the kid she is asking you to join the school soon.


20. Kids are the funniest people on Earth. You can pass on your wisdom to them and feel proud about it.

21. The experience of being an aunt prepares you to be a mom of your own mini-me someday.




Love,
V

 

2 comments:

  1. This is so cool Vij !! I love it <3

    And those gifs ... Wow !! I'll make sure Nish reads this when he is grown up, just so to make him realise that he has a cool aunt ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ujj :)
    I'm glad you liked it :)

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete